Just Views – Conduct Guidance
What’s in the Name – What our Program Series Title is Meant to Convey
Views: Watching documentaries and films and then sharing ideas about the related crucial social issues exposed.
Just: Asking and answering questions about justice — what is fair or not and why.
Principles – What Just Views Is All About:
- Come for informative exchange, cooperative education, civil interaction on critical issues.
- Remember this is a nonpartisan, free and open public forum for adults (and teens with parents).
- Probe issues of justice—social, economic, environmental. Politics & religion may be discussed.
- Note that though this program and venue do not champion parties & candidates, individuals may.
- Know that all perspectives (360 degrees) expressed civilly and concisely are welcome.
- Be attentive, inquiring, responsive, polite and civil, and as specific yet brief as possible.
- Attempt to articulate problem analyses & possible solutions, and critiques of these here.
- Strive for deeper understanding to undergird participation in voting & constructive social action.
Process – Guidelines for Participating at Just Views:
- View the film attentively. Make mental or written notes of questions & key points.
- Listen carefully also during discussion. Ask for clarification when anything is unclear.
- Signal the facilitator when you want to speak. Wait to be called upon before speaking out.
- Help others by saying your name when first speaking.
- Stay on topic. Finish thorough discussion of one area before introducing another.
- Consider beginning with a verbal header, such as: Question, Comment, New Direction.
- Refer to key influences and sources and explain why you have come to certain viewpoints.
- Speak concisely and briefly -remember that others want to talk as well.
- Take turns, encouraging others who have spoken less to speak if they wish.
- Agree to disagree at times. Avoid pejorative or demeaning expressions. Accept dissent.
- Together seek out coherent, comprehensive approaches to any big challenges identified.
- Feel free to wave your hands when you agree or to show support.
- Speak up if necessary during meetings about the importance of following certain guidelines.
- Provide feedback to Just Views moderators before & after sessions and by email.
- Offer issue, film &/or resource suggestions to the moderators any time. These are very appreciated!
Short List of Participation Suggestions
- Wait to be recognized
- before speaking.
- Speak clearly, perhaps giving your name.
- Maintain a civil, courteous attitude. Address issues; avoid personalizing exchanges.
- Develop one topic adequately before moving to another.
- Give others a chance to speak before commenting again.
- If speaking for or against a issue or concept
- , give reasons and listen politely to others.